LIVING IN "THE LIVABLE FOREST"

The Glazebrook Family

Friday, April 16, 2010

Polka dot problems

I co-hosted a baby shower for a friend that I visit teach on Tuesday night. We went with a polka dot theme. I called in a cake order to the nearest Wal-mart. I scheduled to pick the cake up at 5pm and the shower was supposed to start at 7pm. When I walked through the door from doing carpool at 3:40pm the bakery was leaving me a message. I called them right back. I sat on hold for 20 minutes -- totally agrivating! Then, afte rgetting passed to 3 different people (none of who spoke good English) I finally got to the lady who was making my cake. She said "what is a polka dot?". WHAT? How do I explain what a polka dot is to someone who clearly has not mastered even basic English. Isn't there anyone working at that Wal-mart who she could ask what a polka dot is? So, it was after 4 pm now and she told me that she wanted me to teach her how to make a polka dot when I came to pick up the cake. WHAT? The party was fast approaching and it was at MY house so I had to have it home by 6:30 so that my friend and I could set up. I was deathly afraid that the cake would be plain and say it's a girl with nothing else when I got there. So, after ending that call I called the main store line and asked for a manager. After another 10 minutes on hold a manager picked up. I explained my issue with the bakery and he did offer my 20% off. I went to get the cake and luckily the border was done and there was a cut out on the cake. I pointed to the candles next to the bakery counter to show the lady what polka dots were. I must admit that the cake ended up looking nice (not quite how I envisioned it) and the mom-to-be did like it. Hopefully this was an English lesson that someone else will benefit from the next time someone orders a cake with polka dots on it from the Wal-mart near us.

Here is what our theme was and the second picture is a cake from the Wal-mart.com website that I was referencing when I ordered the cake:

2 comments:

Unknown said...

yikes...guess that'll teach eeryone not to order a cake at our local Wal-Mart...

pepper said...

Baby stuff ur pregnant