LIVING IN "THE LIVABLE FOREST"

The Glazebrook Family

Friday, May 7, 2010

I saw a person die today

Merrick, Miley, and I were driving West bound on I-10 at about 12:30. I was in the far left hand lane next to the HOV lane. The traffic wasn't bad at all. I looked over to the left (it was between 59th AVE and 67th AVE) to the East bound lanes because there were 5 police cars with lights flashing and all traffic on that side was stopped directly behind the police cars. There was a lone white car (now I know if was a Mustang) in the far right lane of the East bound lanes. The white car's driver door was open and a man was standing next to the car pointed west with a gun in his hand. I know he shot that gun - I saw him shoot. He was only a few hundred feet away. Just then, as we were pulled up next to the car I saw him fall to the ground because the cops had shot and killed him. I couldn't believe that they didn't shut down the west bound lanes and he could have shot at any of us when we were driving by. He was a threat to the officers (who were all standing behind their open police car doors with guns drawn.). He was also a threat to anyone who was stopped behind the police cars - not far behind them either. I can say that I have seen accidents and found out later that the victims died, but I have a lala land sense about me. I have the problem with being aware but not detail oriented. When I used to go to my college classes on base in GA Michael would pass me sometimes and I would never see him. He would say, "You didn't see me swerve the car toward you?" No, I didn't. I saw ALL of this. It was slightly nerve racking to see someone a few hundred feet away get killed. Here is the news story that they have on it so far:

PHOENIX -- One person is dead in an officer-involved shooting that has closed Interstate 10 near 67th Avenue, police say.


Eastbound lanes are closed at 59th Avenue. All I-10 lanes are open westbound, although traffic is crawling along from 27th Avenue to 83rd Avenue.

Video from a television news helicopter shows a white Ford Mustang facing eastbound in the emergency lane with the driver's side door and trunk lid open.

A Department of Public Safety officer shot and killed a suspect who police said was involved in a deadly shooting at a home near 87th Avenue and Lower Buckeye Road, authorities said.

Police said officers were serving a restraining order to a woman's ex-husband. Officers said the ex-wife's brother went to the house, shot and killed the ex-husband and then fled. When the brother was on the interstate, he was shot and killed by law enforcement, police said.
The Mustang is the car in the front. You can see from the cars on the other side how far I was from the incident. There was hardly any traffic on my side during the incident.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

ok, that's just insane...what are the chances that you would be there right that very second? soooo crazy.

Doodle said...

OMG. That is so scary. I'm so glad no one was hurt. That must be so traumatic to have seen, hopefully the kids didn't notice what was happening. :(

JLJ said...

That is horrible. That really scares me though that no precautions were taken for those cars in the west bound lanes. What an awful experience.

ps. those pictures of Madelyn are so cute. She is a darling girl.